Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Designing for your Life

Kari & Kijsa's blog is inviting bloggers to share their favorite space in their home and share three things:

1. Where it is in your home

2.Your favorite style

3. A favorite item in the room

My dining room is my favorite space in our home because this is where we live and where our friends always gather. This is where I have coffee with my girl friends, where we share our meals, where my daughter learned to sew her first apron, etc. I designed this room around my blue and white dishes. The blue and white stripe wall paper was already here when we bought the house 7 years ago. I had this floor length white frame for several years before deciding if it was going to be a mirror, bulletin board, or a frame for one of my paintings. I decided I liked it with my plates in the center. The cabinet holds my china teacup collection and is one of the first pieces I painted for our new home. I painted it and the top of my dining table to match. My fairy collection has also found a home in this area. You can click on the pictures for a larger view.

The picture below is an older picture of this room minus the frame around the plates. You can see the stenciling I did on the ceiling.

For question #2, "cottage" is my favorite decorating style.
....and here is my daughter, Amber, (she's my favorite item in the room or any other family member or friend who happens to be there) making her first apron from some pink cowgirl fabric on our much used painted dining room table. If you antique and crackle your table, you'll never have to worry about any scratches showing up!

.....and last but not least, this is "Callie's" favorite place in the house. She loves to sit here and watch us eat.

13 comments:

  1. I love your room! And the kittie at the table is tooo cute!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful room!! We love that it is a place filled not only with beautiful treasures, but long-lasting memories!! Your stencilwork is lovely around the chandelier! We do love a little crackle on a tabletop- perfect for hiding all sorts of traces of projects!!!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful room, love your cabinet and the dining table! Also your art is fantastic! Rachaelxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful room, Cathie! It's not only beautiful, but filled with happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful room. I love the frame around the plates. And your painting is gorgeous. My favorite is of your daughter at the dining room table sewing. What a memory. How many of us have sewn at the dining room table?
    Your kitty is adorable too.
    Beautiful room.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used ceiling medallions for our chandeliers...but I like your idea of stenciling much, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room is lovely but Callie is my favorite! I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your room is so innovative. Very charming and pleasant...and your kitty cat is beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you could tell by my blog posts, Cathie, I absolutely LOVED my time in Kansas City. What a beautiful city--and surrounding area--and the people are totally made of win. I hope to come back next year for a longer, less hectic visit, but i'll always have marvelous memories of your city and surrounding communities (Overland Park, KS, Blue Springs MO, and of course Powell Gardens, wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your room is so pretty! I love the painting on the table!!! It's always nice to find someone else who likes blue and white like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to wear a bib when visiting your posts, your painting makes me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dining room looks like a very special place.

    Callie is so cute!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful room, lovely daughter, adorable kitty! We have a "Callie" too!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your sweet comments!